CONSULTANT OF INTEGRATION PALM OIL-CATTLE FATTENING
Berbak Green Prosperity Partnership
SNV Netherlands Development Organization
SNV is an international not-for-profit development organisation, working in 38 countries in Africa, Asia, and Latin America. SNV specializes in supporting the resourcefulness of development actors by developing local capacities, improving performance and services, strengthening governance systems, helping to create access for excluded groups and by making markets work for the poor. Our global team of advisors use their specialist sector and change expertise in Agriculture, Renewable Energy and WASH to facilitate sustainable change in the livelihoods of millions of people living in poverty.
SNV is working with a consortium of international and local partners led by Euro Consult Mott MacDonald to deliver the Berbak Green Prosperity Partnership (BGPP).
MCA-Berbak Green Prosperity Partnership Project
The BGPP will work in Jambi, Sumatra in the 250,000 ha peatland dominated Berbak landscape. It aims to rehabilitate degraded peatland and provide enhanced and alternative economic opportunities for communities that derive their livelihoods from palm oil production and other peatland-based agricultural activities/enterprises.
It will deliver four components:
1. Peatland, Land Use Zoning, Hydrological Rehabilitation and Water Management to establish the biophysical basis for GHG emission reductions and land use to enable green prosperity. It involves canal-blocking to reverse peatland drainage and improve community farm water management systems.
2. Smallholder Enterprise and Farm Systems focuses on improving smallholder yields and income from palm oil, rubber, rice and aquaculture and helping palm oil smallholders on the border of the landscape to deliver sustainable production in line with emissions reduction goals.
3. Private Sector Commitment and Action to ensure that companies operating in the landscape understand the sustainability context and apply relevant policies and practices. It will focus on oil palm and HPH concessions and involve the use of palm oil mill effluent (POME) for renewable energy.
4. Promoting District and Province-wide Green Prosperity.
SNV on this project will focus on achieving the training and certification targets as described on below tasks:
1. Develop detailed phase 1 work plan.
2. Train 400 rubber smallholders in BMP.
3. Train 10.000 smallholder oil palm producers in BMP and Support 2,000 smallholders in achieving ISCC/RSPO certification.
4. Secure private sector co-financing to develop and test-pilot finance replanting for 400 Independent Smallholders.
5. Install 15 medium-scale biogas digesters using POME and cattle waste.
6. Establish a Green Prosperity Private Sector Forum to promote public-private dialogue towards achieving sustainability.
7. Provide project management support for the overall BGPP project SPO component.
As to achieve the task 4, SNV will support the development of business models and strategy for additional income generating activities, which will be used to implement a training programme. Furthermore, SNV will develop training material for additional income generating activities, horticulture and lifestock. Integration of Palm oil and cattle fattening is an option to generate income. Palm oil small holders needs a guideline to implement good fattening practice to optimize the profit.
Scope of Work
Consultant of Integration Palm Oil-Cattle Fattening
SNV is looking for a cattle fattening consultant to obtain technical expertise to develop module on cattle fattening in palm oil smallholders. The consultant will carry out the following activities and deliver the below services:Activities
Develop Module for Good Rearing Practice for cattle-palm oil integration
- how to select calves
- how to process feed from palm oil waste
- pen management
- feeding management
- water supply
- animal health management
- Waste Management for Renewable Energy (Biogas)
- economical analysis
Module of Good Rearing Practice
Man days :
Start on August and ended on September 2017.
The consultant will be home base working.
Skills and Experience Required
- Master’s degree in animal science;
- Having experience and knowledge in developing module in integration palm oil and cattle fattening is highly preferred;
- Minimum 5 years working experience;
- Having excellent ability in writing scientific report, especially in English;
- Having knowledge on recent issues on oil palm sector would be encouraged;
- Ability to work independently under minimum supervision;
- Indonesian native speaker, fluent in English (writing and speaking).
Required Documents to Apply
- Working plan to develop module
- Working plan to do field visit in order to investigate the potential fodders, water supply.
Structure of The Module
- List of pages
- List of table
- List of graph
- Executive summary
- Topic 1
- Topic 2
- Topic 3
- Topic 4
- Topic 5
- Topic 6
- Topic 7
- Topic 8
The consultant will report directly to the leader of task 4 and project director of BGPP.
Applicants should send their resume, CV and expected fee for the assignment mentioned above to SNV Procurement email: email@example.com by latest August 22th 2017 with subject “Consultant Module -Cattle Fattening”.