The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a German implementing organization which provides services worldwide in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development. GIZ has a record of more than 20 years of involvement in the area of climate policy in Indonesia.
GIZ is currently implementing a global project, funded by the International Climate Initiative (IKI) of the German Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety (BMU), called “Sustainable and Climate-Friendly Palm Oil Production and Procurement (SCPOPP)." The project aims to contribute to the improvement of the environment and social sustainability as well as to reduce greenhouse gases from oil palm cultivation. Apart from the implementation in Germany and Thailand, the project works in a focused landscape in a pilot district in East Kalimantan, Indonesia, for four years.
The project organizes the activities in Indonesia into three work packages. Those are:
- Land-use planning and land registration
- Partnership for sustainable and climate-friendly farming practice
- Jurisdictional sustainability platforms and best practice documentation and dissemination
For work package 2, GIZ seeks a qualified Indonesian candidate for one position of
Advisor for Partnership and Best Management Practice
- Develops a training program and other capacity development action plan for the smallholders to apply best management practice based on the recommendation from the assessment of the gap between the existing practice in the focused landscape and the sustainability standards (RSPO, ISPO, FONAP, and others).
- Facilitates the establishment and the early stage of the operation of the partnership between the stakeholders in the value chain to provide incentives and to implement the training program as well as other needed capacity development actions for the smallholders to meet the sustainability standards;
- Supervise the NGO partner in organizing, providing advisory service, and facilitating the smallholder groups for carrying out measures to achieve sustainable certification in the focused landscape and for accessing affordable financing resources;
- Develops or search for appropriate tools and methods for data collection for traceability-to-plantation and MRVs, and incorporate the selected tool/method into the training program for the smallholders and other actors;
- Supports the Land-use Advisor in preparing and implementing the management plan for the protected HCV/HCS areas and the suitable low-carbon stock for cultivation areas;
- Supports the Land-use Advisor to monitor and evaluate the project activities on land rights, ensuring the FPIC principles, transparency and gender equity through the use of an adequate complaint mechanism;
- Liaisons between the project and the district government as well as other stakeholders in the focused landscape and the pilot district to support measures on sustainable and climate-friendly palm oil production;
- Responsibly prepares and implements events, workshops, and conferences;
- Innovation and knowledge management and communication of innovation to partners and essential stakeholders;
- Integrates results and experiences to improve synergy on overall activities between the project and thematically related projects implemented by GIZ in Indonesia;
- Assist the project responsible manager in project management tasks as assigned.
1. Management and Coordination:
- Supports project planning by developing concepts and strategies, ensure implementation;
- Actualizes the planning continuously together with the counterparts;
- Takes part in the formulation of project planning and facilitate synchronization between the planning and budgeting system;
- Compiles the relevant information for joint activities and assignments;
- Contributes to the coordination of the project works so that the objective and indicators can be achieved;
- Supervise consultants, contractor, and interns for the project;
- Contributes to the writing of the project progress and monitoring reports, identifies bottlenecks and recommends alternative management options to the project responsible manager;
- Represents project when needed;
- Evaluates results of activities and give input/feedback for better implementation.
2. Professional Advisory Services:
- Advise partner institution(s) on order clarification, identifying needs, developing concepts and strategies, and provides technical input;
- Participates in determining requirements for external support and advice, works on policy recommendations and promotes a strategic approach;
- Contributes to preparing and implementing the coordination process, joint project/ program activities;
- Formulates terms of references and selects and supervises third parties in the course of carrying out project/program activities, including performance evaluation;
- Deals with the design, preparation, and implementation of workshops, seminars and other events on issues related to the work package;
- Develops and organizes quality assurance measures and suggests necessary changes, improvements, and initiatives;
- Assures the alignment of the project’s service provision with the partner’s needs.
3. Networking and Cooperation:
- Ensures cooperation, regular contact, and dialogue with partners, relevant organizations, non-governmental agencies, and individuals with other related projects to improve and maintain good working relationships;
- Travels in accordance with project requirements;
- Supports project responsible manager in smooth partner relations;
- Communicates and channel local interest and aspirations and exchange ideas and information for the benefit of the project.
4. Knowledge Management:
- compiles information and ensures knowledge transfers;
- develops ready-to-use strategies and technical concepts, including guidelines, manuals, and procedures;
- draws up reports and presentation documents;
- formulates appropriate input for project reports.
- Required qualifications, competences and experience
- Minimum Bachelor/B.S degree in agronomy or other related academic fields.
- At least 5 years’ professional experience on works related to the improvement of oil palm cultivation practices to meet sustainability standards, value chain partnership, and data collection,
- Experienced in project management.
Other knowledge, additional competencies
- Very familiar with sustainability standards (at least ISPO and RSPO) and the challenges for the smallholders to improve their productivity,
- Strong skill in designing and facilitating an effective multi-stakeholder partnership,
- Excellent capability to plan, implement, and monitor the effectiveness of various capacity development measures,
- Have basic knowledge of data organization (collection, validation, standardized processing, storage, and protection),
- Familiar with the concepts of traceability-to-plantation and MRV for GHG emissions and mitigation actions in the plantation sector,
- Excellent working knowledge of ITC technologies (related software, phone, email, the internet) and basic computer applications (e.g., MS Office),
- Fluent written and oral knowledge of English; German knowledge would be an advantage;
- Focused, proactive and positive working attitude,
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a fast-paced office environment, both independently and as part of a global team,
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, including the ability to encourage collaboration with other programs, international offices, and partners,
- Ready to work in remote rural areas, link and cooperate with stakeholders from rural communities
- Aware of social and intercultural sensitivities, flexible and possess a sense of diplomacy,
- Adaptable to rapidly changing priorities and able to manage multiple deadlines and deliver high-quality work products,
- Willingness to up-skill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management..
Duty Station: the pilot district, East Kalimantan
Joining Date: a.s.a.p.
Direct Supervisor: Project responsible manager in Samarinda, Indonesia
Please submit your motivation letter and comprehensive resume (including latest photograph and list of references) to firstname.lastname@example.org by November 28th, 2018, with subject line SCPOPP – Advisor PBMP.
Please name your file as the following format:
[Your Complete Name]_[Motivation Letter/CV/Latest Education Certificate] (i.e: Nakula Sadewa_CV or Nakula Sadewa_Motivation Letter or Nakula Sadewa_Reference)
Only short-listed candidates will be notified