Hivos Southeast Asia is a Dutch non-governmental organization guided by
humanist values. It aims at structural poverty alleviation with a strong
focus on civil society building and sustainable economic development. Hivos
Southeast Asia provides financial support for local NGOs, is active in
networking, lobbying and exchanging knowledge and expertise. For its Hivos
Southeast Asia seeks qualified Indonesian candidates for the position of:
Title : Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning Officer -SII
Duty Station : Sumba, Indonesia
Duration : One year, with possibility of extension
Report to : Field Project Manager-SII
In 2010 Hivos Southeast Asia started the Iconic Island initiative. The
Indonesian island of Sumba was chosen as the 'Iconic Island'. Hivos
Southeast aims to provide access to reliable renewable forms of energy to
the population of this island, and in doing so, ending their dependency on
fossil fuels and support development and economic activities of the local
population. With years of experience working with partner organizations to
establish access to sustainable energy in developing countries, Hivos
Southeast Asia is convinced that converting to sustainable energy while
combining poverty reduction, is possible on a large scale. The results of
the Iconic Island initiative should become an example for other parts of the
In December 2015, Hivos Southeast Asia signed a partnership agreement with
the Millennium Challenge Account-Indonesia (MCA-I) which allows Hivos
Southeast Asia to rapidly scale up renewable energy access and income
benefits by replicating the successful approaches and business models
developed under our Sumba Iconic Island (SII). The partnership agreement is
working to achieve two outcomes, including:
1) Improvement of rural livelihoods through utilization of renewable
energy in rural communities; and
2) Sustainable business models to create market (energy market and energy
appliances market) of off-grid RE technologies adopted.
The ME&L Officer (SII) is responsible for monitoring, evaluation and
learning dimensions of Sumba Iconic Island programme and operates in
accordance with the Hivos Southeast Asia policy and donor requirements,
which in this case is the Millennium Challenge Account-Indonesia (MCA-I).
The ME&L Officer works closely with Field Project Manager SII, PM/Deputy PM
Green Energy, Hivos Southeast Asia' DMEL Officer and Consortium Partners
(Village Infrastructure Angels, Winrock International and Yayasan Rumah
Energi) to accurately monitor the phases of the project to ensure proper
roll-out, monitoring results indicators using the SMART concept and
analysing the evaluation results. S/he translates the project's Result Chain
into tangible indicators for monitoring and evaluation; analyses, validates
and aggregates outputs, outcomes and learning in all phases of the process,
in close partnership with other project staff.
Together with Hivos Southeast Asia' DMEL Officer, the ME&L Officer validates
the potential sustainability and scalability of innovations, experiments and
tests solutions through formative, summative and real-time evaluation on the
basis of relevant expertise and experiences and also manages the assessment,
validation and improvement of performance during the project cycle itself.
At the beginning, s/he focuses on the procedural and logistics aspects of
accountability and transparency: data collection, reporting, etc and in a
later stage wilkl take the lead on collection of material and writing the
best practices/lesson learned from the Sumba Iconic Island project.
The ME&L Officer will lead in delivering fact-based evidence according to
the proposed project outputs based on MCA-I's requirements and will enhance
the quality of new and/or ongoing project activities.
The ME&L Officer position is part of the Sumba Iconic Island programme
delivery team, coordinating with Hivos Southeast Asia and consortium
partner's M&E staff. The ME&L Officer provides the technical evidence to be
used by the Sumba Iconic Island projects teams and works in close
partnership with all positions mentioned above, to provide back-up and
support to successfully implement activities and put forward proof to
convince donors of Hivos Southeast Asia' Theory of Chance and operational
Roles and responsibilities
1. To play a proactive role in the implementation of the multi
stakeholders Sumba Iconic Island initiative which aims at realising 100%
renewable energy at Sumba.
2. To sharpen, manage and implement the monitoring evaluation and
learning framework and systems according to the MCA-I reporting templates
and data collection tools.
3. To ensure project compliance with MCA-I reporting requirements.
4. To coordinate, manage and be responsible for data collection from the
field, analysis and reporting performance indicators by programme/project
team members and programme/project counterparts with Hivos DMEL Officer.
5. To provide overall management for the implementation of the framework
in coordination with Hivos Southeast Asia DMEL Officer.
6. To coordinate or facilitate specific areas of data collection as
defined in the framework.
7. To assist the project staffs in the development of regular progress
reports according to MCA-I requirements.
8. To regularly review and update the project's monitoring evaluation &
9. To assist on the progress of the project, including: monitoring and
evaluation of the impact and outcome, providing regular progress report.
10. To be responsible in research, studies and survey and evaluation
11. To prepare lessons learned from the project and develop a plan for
12. To support the knowledge dissemination through trainings, mentoring and
13. To contribute to Hivos Southeast Asia's overall organizational and
14. To be a reliable and supportive team member to the whole team.
Knowledge, experiences and competencies
1. Relevant work experience: at least 3 years.
2. Experience with project and programmme monitoring and evaluation
3. Extensive experience in developing M&E framework and its ongoing
management within renewable energy issues
4. Work experience in an international environment.
5. Track record in writing/compiling/editing proposals
6. Excellent understanding on data collection methods and analysis raw
data into project intelligence.
7. Is attention to details and a good team player
8. Passion in development sectors would be an advantage
9. Having respect for a humanitarian or humanist principle and willing
to work in a non-discriminating, neutral, impartial and gender equal
What do we offer?
An inspiring and dynamic working environment, dedicated colleagues and the
possibility to work for an ambitious new international initiative.
How to apply?
To apply for this position please submit your CV and a cover letter to
This is an opened position at national level.
Please specify the position name you are applying for ('ME&Learning
Officer-SII') in the 'subject' line of your email. Only shortlisted
candidates will be notified.
For more information about Hivos Southeast Asia, visit https://hivos.org/.