Artisanal Gold Council
Indonesia Assistant Project Manager (Jakarta Based)
The Artisanal Gold Council (AGC), based in Canada, has embarked on a five-year project in partnership with Yayasan Tambuhak Sinta (YTS) and funded by a contribution from the Canadian Government. The project is aimed at improvement and sustainable development of the artisanal and small-scale gold sector of Indonesia. It is focused on achieving improvements in mineral processing, environment, business, health and social practices for men and women involved in the sector.
The role of the Assistant Project Manager is to support the Project Manager of the AGC-YTS project “Improving Artisanal Gold Mining in Indonesia”. The incumbent will work under the supervision of the Canadian-based AGC Project Manager, and will carry out day-to-day tasks on behalf of the project and other tasks that the AGC Project Manager may assign related to and in furtherance of the project. The incumbent will generally be the first point of contact in-country and help liaise with project partners, relevant government ministries, and stakeholders . Tasks that could be anticipated include project communications – letter writing, emails and other correspondence, field site visits in regions of interest throughout Indonesia, liaison with AGC-YTS project partners, which includes, but is not limited to national and regional government offices, other not-for-profit and educational institutes in Indonesia, and private sector, such as gold traders. The incumbent will be required to produce frequent and comprehensive reports and maintain accurate records of activities and finances. The incumbent is also expected to attend relevant governmental and stakeholder meetings in Jakarta and in other project areas in Indonesia. The incumbent will also provide planning and logistics services for Canadian based AGC personnel visiting Indonesia. The role is a full-time position, based in Jakarta, and is anticipated to be filled immediately.
Exceptional communication - Language – Bahasa Indonesia (oral and written) – fluent//English (oral and written) - general professional proficiency;
Representation – professional demeanour;
Negotiations and bargaining;
Ability to work at all levels of field work, corporate, and government offices; and
Ability to follow timelines and project plans.
· Post-secondary education and professional experience in a field directly related to natural resources governance, environment, such as public policy, international relations, public administration, business or engineering, or bilateral or multilateral development projects;
· Ability and experience in working with a varied team of stakeholders in an office and field environment;
· Five or more years’ experience in managing or working within a project across cultural, gender and multi-disciplinary boundaries;
· Two or three years’ experience working in complex technical and governance environments with unsupervised work in a majority of tasks, particularly working with multiple levels of government – from national to village levels;
· Demonstrated leadership, organizational and interpersonal skills with a proven ability to work in a collaborative working environment;
· Experience in a project management capacity, with particular emphasis on results based outcomes.
Knowledge in more than one of the following areas is a requirement:
Mining or natural resource management, environmental management, training skills, technical (mechanic), Indonesian government and law, equipment maintenance, gender equality, international development projects, community relations and regional governance, business set-up (incorporation), finance, and community development.
Candidates with an established network of contacts in this sector, i.e. government, private sector, CSO will be preferred.
Honesty and Integrity
Willing to travel
Interested applicants may send their letter of application and curriculum vitae to rgutierrez@artisanalgold.
org addressed to Richard Gutierrez, Project Manager, on or before 09 March 2016.
The Artisanal Gold Council is an equal opportunity employer