Join CIFOR and make a difference!
Host-Country Liaison Coordinator
Director General’s Office (Ref. 1611)Bogor, Indonesia
The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) is a nonprofit, global research organization dedicated to advancing human well-being, environmental conservation and equity.
We conduct research that enables more informed and equitable decision making about the use and management of tropical and sub-tropical forest landscapes. We help policy makers and practitioners shape effective policy, improve the management of tropical forests and address the needs and perspectives of people who depend on forests for their livelihoods. Our multidisciplinary approach considers the underlying drivers of deforestation and degradation which often lie outside the forestry sector: forces such as agriculture, infrastructure development, trade and investment policies and law enforcement.
CIFOR is looking for Host-Country Liaison Coordinator
The Host-Country Liaison Coordinator will serve as CIFOR’s official liaison with the Government of Indonesia and will assist CIFOR to monitor and respond to policy, legislative and administrative trends, as well as liaise with key partner institutions in Indonesia that the Center interacts with directly or indirectly. The Coordinator reports to the Director General.
Summary of responsibilities
· Maintain and enhance relations and dialogue with Indonesian authorities including to promote an understanding of CIFOR’s constitution, role and mandate as an international organization and research institute headquartered in Indonesia;
· Monitor CIFOR’s compliance with relevant government legislation and regulations;
· Identify legal and administrative procedures that affect CIFOR’s operations, advise CIFOR on appropriate actions, and support CIFOR units (e.g. Human Resources, Administration) in their responses;
· Analyse Indonesian legislation, policy developments and political dynamics in areas relevant to CIFOR’s programme and advise CIFOR management on developments;
· Maintain and enhance partnerships and collaboration with Indonesian institutions through frequent and proactive engagement;
· Advise research and outreach & engagement teams in the coordination and translation of results of CIFOR research into policy-relevant outputs;
· Facilitate appropriate dialogue on research results with Indonesian authorities and stakeholders;
· Facilitate local community relations in collaboration with the authorities;
· Assist and participate in CIFOR activities and initiatives for capacity development.
Detailed duties and responsibilities will be discussed and outlined in the staff Annual Performance Contract.
Education, knowledge and experience
· A minimum of Master degree in any discipline;
· Fluent in writing and speaking in English and Bahasa Indonesia;
· A minimum of 10 years’ relevant experience in a senior position;
· Possess excellent networks with ministries and agencies of the Indonesian Government, as well as key non-government institutions;
· A broad knowledge about political environment of forestry and forestry related issues in Indonesia, regional and global agendas (research and development issues);
· Familiar with inter-ministerial procedures on administrative issues (e.g. research permits) and non-administrative issues (e.g. substantial matters as part of initiating research collaboration between different ministries/agencies).
Personal Attributes and Competencies
· Problem-solving oriented capacity;
· Management and organizational skills, experience in coordinating role with high level officials;
· Excellent negotiation and persuasive skills;
· Excellent facilitation and teambuilding capability;
· Initiative and capable of working independently as well as in team environments;
· Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to effectively and positively interact with people in a multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary environment – including CIFOR staff, management and external agencies/contractors/
· Values the sharing of information and continuous improvement in a cooperative atmosphere of constructive evaluation and learning.
Terms and Conditions
· This is an internationally-recruited staff (IRS) position. CIFOR offers competitive remuneration in USD commensurate with skills and experience;
· The appointment will be for a period of two years inclusive nine months probationary period, with a possibility of extension contingent upon performance, continued relevance of the position and available resources;
· The duty station will be at Bogor/Jakarta, Indonesia (with travel to research sites).
· The application deadline is 03 June 2016;
· We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.
To apply, please visit our career site at
To learn more about CIFOR, please visit our website at
CIFOR is an equal opportunity employer. Staff diversity contributes to excellence.