Hivos Southeast Asia is an International non-governmental organization guided by humanist values. It aims at structural poverty alleviation with a strong focus on civil society building and sustainable economic development. Hivos Southeast Asia provides financial support for local NGOs, is active in networking, lobbying and exchanging knowledge and expertise. For its Hivos Southeast Asia (Hivos SEA) seeks qualified Indonesian candidates for the position of:
Title : Field Project Manager -SII
Duty Station : Sumba, Indonesia
Duration : One year, with possibility of extension
Report to : Project Coordinator – Sumba Iconic Islands
In 2010 Hivos Southeast Asia started the Iconic Island initiative. The Indonesian island of Sumba was chosen as the ‘Iconic Island’. Hivos Southeast Asia aims to provide access to reliable renewable forms of energy to the population of this island, and in doing so, ending their dependency on fossil fuels and support development and economic activities of the local population. With years of experience working with partner organizations to establish access to sustainable energy in developing countries, Hivos Southeast Asia is convinced that converting to sustainable energy while combining poverty reduction, is possible on a large scale. The results of the Iconic Island initiative should become an example for other parts of the world.
In December 2015, Hivos Southeast Asia signed a partnership agreement with the Millennium Challenge Account-Indonesia (MCA-I) which allows Hivos Southeast Asia to rapidly scale up renewable energy access and income benefits by replicating the successful approaches and business models developed under our Sumba Iconic Island (SII). The partnership agreement is working to achieve two outcomes; improvement of rural livelihoods through utilization of renewable energy in rural communities; and sustainable business models to create market (energy market and energy appliances market) of off-grid RE technologies adopted.
The Field Project Manager will be responsible for the well run day-to-day project delivery in the field, provide leadership to field team members and partners including implementation, coaching/mentoring, donor reporting, documentation and facilitating local partners in implementing a successful renewable energy projects in Sumba according to Hivos’s standard and donor’s requirements. S/he will provide senior leadership to the project’s field implementation team. This position will be full-time based in Sumba office, NTT.
Roles and responsibilities
1. To play a proactive role in the implementation of the multi stakeholders Sumba Iconic Island initiative which aims at realizing 100% renewable energy at Sumba Island.
2. Leading and supervise the day-to-day field work of Sumba Iconic Island project staffs, identify and resolve problems as needed
3. Leading the field coordination of consortium project members (Winrock International, Village Infrastructure Angel and Yayasan Rumah Energi)
4. Ensures that field staffs are performing according to their job descriptions, programme guidelines, budgets, implementation plans, deliverables and other relevant instruction.
5. To create financial planning, budgeting, performance, capacity development and risks management of projects.
6. Establish and foster good coordination and communication among team members, consortium partner’s staff member/consultant
7. To forge strong relationships and build supportive networks with relevant stakeholders and managing communication at the local level.
8. To be responsible for the progress of the project, including: delivering high quality and timely project outputs as planned, monitoring and evaluation of the impact and outcome and providing regular progress reports.
9. Provide input to the Deputy Project Manager for quarterly project narrative reports based on the field team inputs, accordingly donor requirements and ensure the submission of the (draft) reports within agreed deadlines.
10. Responsibility to check financial reports to be sent to the Jakarta office
11. To identify and assess problems/specific issues and work to be resolved together with PM Green Energy (Sumba)
12. Support knowledge dissemination through training, mentoring and field visits
13. To contribute to Hivos Southeast’s overall organizational and policy development.
14. To be a reliable and supportive team member to the whole team.
Knowledge, experiences and competencies
1. A degree in rural development, sustainable energy, environmental and natural resource management, economics of natural resources or other comparable education.
2. 5 -7 years of experience in leading energy project development, project management and community engagement.
3. Good understanding of the socio-economic aspects, including gender, of development projects.
4. Outstanding written and verbal communication skills including public speaking in Bahasa Indonesia, and English.
5. Show successful track record working in a team and within multidisciplinary team.
6. Knowledge and experience applying monitoring and evaluation tools and using information gathered to improve project performance.
7. Experience in building capacity of partner organizations and demonstrated success in interacting with government agencies.
8. Strong interpersonal communication to effectively interact with donors, civil society organizations, government officials and community.
9. Sound experience in contributing to partnerships and multi actor initiatives
10. Good understanding of and strong affinity with civil society, in particular with non-governmental organizations.
11. Previous working experience in an international environment/organization would be an advantage
12. Having respect for humanitarian or humanist principles and willing to work in a non- discriminating, neutral, impartial and gender equal environment.
13. Willing to stay at Sumba and travel to other places in Indonesia for related meetings.
What do we offer?
An inspiring and dynamic working environment, dedicated colleagues and the possibility to work for an ambitious new international initiative.
Field Project Manager-SII graded in Grade: 10 (from 1-12 Hivos’s salary grade)
How to apply?
To apply for this position please submit your CV and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 21 October 2016.
This is an opened position at national level.
Please specify the position name you are applying for (‘Field Project Manager-SII’) in the ‘subject’ line of your email. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.For more information about Hivos Southeast Asia, visit https://hivos.org/.